Kathirkamanathan Shanmuganathan, MBBS
Research Grant Award
Kathirkamanathan Shanmuganathan, MBBS, Research Grant Award
American Society of Emergency Radiology
2021 Kathirkamanathan Shanmuganathan, MBBS, Grant Program
The ASER has initiated a grant program for investigator initiated research of broad importance to the members of the Society. The goal is for the ASER funds to be used to allow members to advance their research and program evaluation projects from single-institution work to multi-centered collaboration. This award is a unique opportunity to build collaboration between individuals and institutions, increasing the impact of emergency radiology research and enabling evaluation of innovation in emergency radiology education. Examples for research might include evaluation of the effectiveness of curricular and educational activities, multi-centered evaluation of the effectiveness of varying imaging protocols and approaches, surveys and data collection to establish best practices and benchmarks, or programmatic evaluation of educational initiatives. The program is also expected to encourage interdisciplinary research or educational efforts between emergency radiologists, emergency medicine physicians, and trauma surgeons. We would expect that collaboration supported by this award program could lead to further potentially larger research and educational innovation downstream.
Number of Grants and Amount
- $10,000 per award ($5,000 per year for two years)
- There will be one award per year
- Staff expenses (research assistant, statistics, administrative)
- Materials (photo illustration, on-line tools)
- Tuition, books
- Travel (for collaboration)
- The award is not expected to support investigator time
- Please note that the award may not be used to fund institutional indirect costs
- Principal investigator(s) must be members of the ASER, but applications can come from institutions worldwide.
- Awardees are expected to present their work at the ASER annual meeting during the grant award period, and to submit a manuscript from the project to the Society’s journal Emergency Radiology.
- Applications must be for projects which are not already currently funded by grant awards from the ASER or other organizations.
- The application deadline is June 15, with formal announcement of the awardee at the ASER Annual Meeting.
- A committee appointed by the ASER Executive Committee will review applications and select the award winner by late August.
- Preference for the award will be given to multi-institutional collaborations and issues/programs that involve a broad group of the Society.
- The committee will determine award winners based on the following:
- Importance of topic and relevance to ASER
- Collaboration (multi-institutional, multi-specialty)
- Project design
- Applicant credentials
- All applications must be submitted electronically.
Dr. Ali Gholamrezanezhad, who has been awarded the 2020 ASER Kathirkamanathan Shanmuganathan Research Grant Award for “Emergency Imaging Protocols for Pregnant Patients: A Multi-Institutional and Multi-Specialty Comparison of Resident Education.